Monday, January 18, 2010

Drivin'-In

This past Saturday, we celebrated my friend, Corrin's birthday by going to the drive-in. Corrin is a friend I met through the Brown family. She has done youth work in Australia and the U.K. and just moved to the Central Coast about a month after I did. To properly commemorate the day she was born, we crammed 17 people into three cars with an esky (Australian for cooler) full of cokes and snacks, chairs, and blankets and headed north. After about an hour of driving, we arrived at Heddon Greta 15 minutes before the first movie started. We had just enough time to pop open our tailgates, lay out our blanket, tune our radio to the right station, and get situated before "Alvin and Chipmunks--The Squeakuel" started rolling. The second movie that was shown that night was "Sherlock Holmes," starting at 10:30 pm. Confession time: I was most excited about seeing the Chipmunks! I love their Christmas songs! Between the two movies, we sang happy birthday to Corrin. Nobody remembered the candles for the cake, so we had to use Dan's iTouch lighter application instead. Despite the light drizzle, lack of warm clothes, late hour, and the mosquitoes (I think I got about 15 new bites), we had a fabulous time. I can't wait to go to the Drive In again!

Fun Australian Fact: After you sing "Happy Birthday" to someone, you give them three cheers. One person says, "Hip, Hip..." And, everyone else says, "HOORAY!" Then we do it again two more times.


Trying to stay dry and warm at the drive-in.
We were towards the back of the parking lot, but could see perfect. Before each movie, they had the old snack commericals with the dancing ice cream bars and jumping hot dogs.
Corrin blowing out the candles, I mean the iTouch.

The birthday girl, Corrin.

1 comment: