Sunday, January 17, 2010

Annoying American Tourists

That's us! Between Christmas and New Years, I got to do a lot of the touristy things in Sydney and along the Central Coast that I have been dying to do, but didn't have an excuse. But, since Alex was here, I finally had a reason.
We spent 2 days in Sydney seeing all the sights. One day we went to the city with Dan and Mel Mowday and Laura and Cristiaen van der Meulen to go to the aquarium. The Sydney Aquarium is so cool because it is located right in Darling Harbor. We saw tons of fish native to Australia, got to walk through a shark tunnel, and even got to touch different kinds of coral. After the aquarium, our group walked to Circular Quay to see the Opera House and the botancial gardens. We finished up the day with dinner at Pancakes on the Rocks, and then caught the train back home.
The second day Alex and I went to Sydney, we caught the train down to see a matinee performance of the musical, Mama Mia. It was a wonderful two hours of ABBA and tons of laughs. (If you have the chance to see this musical any time, I would definitley recommend it!) While in the city, we also went to Patty's Market and rode the ferry to Manly Beach. After two days of walking all over Sydney, we were exhausted!
On New Year's Eve. A big group of people from church went to watch the Central Coast Mariners (our professional soccer team) play a game in Gosford. Their stadium is located right on the waterfront. Sadly, they lost, but the game was definitely still fun. We sat right beside the "Marinators," who are the crazy fans that lead all the chants and songs. It was crazy! Following the game, we walked down to the water and watched fireworks.
The last touristy thing we did was go to the Australian Reptile Park. This park is like a zoo with mostly Australian animals, but so much better. We saw alligators, crocodiles, dingoes, giant tortoises, snakes, insects, and birds. In the picnic area, there are wallaby, kangaroos, and emus just walking around that you can feed and take pictures with. We even got to pet a koala!


Our whole group at the aquarium (Alex, Me, Laura, Cristian, Mel, and Dan).

Laura and I with Sydney Harbor in the background.

The Opera House.

The Mariners game against Wellington.


Koalas from the Reptile Park.

Alex and the kangaroos.

1 comment:

  1. It's fun being a tourist sometimes! And I've been to some of those places with you too! I'm glad you had fun! I remember being so nervous about the birds walking around behind me at the Reptile Park that I could barely eat my lunch! And how I was unexpectedly scared of kangaroos... that was a traumatic day for me!

    ReplyDelete