Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Spring has sprung

Spring has sprung in Gosford and that can only mean one thing: SOCCER! We are oh so blessed to have our own major league soccer team in our backyard (well, it's by Donnison Street, which I feel like is my backyard some weeks.) The past two Friday nights I have been cheering along with all the other loco fans at Blue Tongue Stadium as the Central Coast Mariners fought their way to victories over two different Melbourne teams. Many of the members of the congregation, especially teens and young adults especially love going to games together, which makes the games even more fun.
Before I moved to Australia, all I knew about soccer came from watching OC soccer games and intramurals. Let's be real: I did a lot more socializing at those games than actual watching. But, I am a changed woman! I can now tell when a player is off-sides...well at least 50% of the time I can tell. I even can name 3 players (Matty Simons, Daniel McBreen, and Bow-itch) and I know what they look like. Sadly, the Mariners won't be back in town for 3 weeks, and I have no idea what the under 30 population of Gosford Church is going to do with all of their free time. But on October 2 when our yellow football team returns, we will be there to cheer them to another win, and we might even have homemade t-shirts! Can't wait!
All the little soccer teams practicing at half-time of the Mariners game.

We do watch the game, I promise!

This past Friday night was so cold! Good thing Amber and I had our Mariners scarves to keep us warm.

The girls at the game.

Central Coast Mariners beat Melbourne Heart 1-nil last Friday night.

1 comment: