Sunday, October 24, 2010

I used to really resent baseball...

I used to really resent baseball. For years I hated being dragged to Little League batting practices and all day Saturday select tournaments. In fact, I thought it was a special brand of punishment that my dad and brother cooked up to torture me.
But, my dad loves baseball. He only loves two things more: God and our family. Not only does he love baseball in general, but he especially loves the Texas Rangers. My dad has been there from the beginning, cheering them on in the good years and supporting them in the lean years. No matter what kind of season they were having, he is there.
I used to really only go to Texas Rangers games to humor my dad. He taught me about the rules, the players, and the history, and eventually I became a true fan. I actually wanted to go to games and pay attention to what was going on. I started reading the sports page and voting for players for the All-Star game. I even worked for the Texas Rangers for two summers while I was in college. Even though my job taking tolls wasn't glamorous, I still loved it because I got to work for my favorite team.
When the Texas Rangers made history by winning the American League Championship Friday night, there was only person I wanted to talk to. There was only one person who could completely share my excitment and pride. There is only one person who understood the significance of the moment: My dad. Even though we are separated by miles and miles of ocean, we are brought together by our love for a game and a team.
My dad and I at a baseball game. One of my favorite ways to spend a summer night.
After Birkley's first Texas Ranger game. Please notice her bow and shirt.
He's learning to love them.

At Spring Training in Surprise, Arizona in March 2009. I met Josh Hamilton and he autographed my shirt! He loves God and he's my favorite player.

As the World Series approaches, there is only one thing left to say:

LET'S GO RANGERS!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I love this post. Your parents are amazing. They are probably the busiest people I know - and yet they still took the time to send Ethan a precious birthday card with $2 in it. You would think it was a million dollars the way he carries it around with him!!! You are so blessed. Love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete