Sunday, November 8, 2009

Happy Halloween

I have experienced my first Halloween in Australia! Halloween is not a widely celebrated holiday in Australia. Not nearly as many kids dress up and go trick-or-treating, and finding a carving pumpkin is almost impossible. I went over to Amanda and Dean Edginton’s house for dinner and to hang out. (Dean is the coordinator for the Short Term Australian Missions Program (STAMP) that is run out of the Gosford Church of Christ.) He and Amanda moved here in June. Since I’ve been here, they have become great friends.
I somehow managed to find a big orange pumpkin to carve. Neither Dean or Amanda had ever carved one before! I, as the expert, showed them the proper techniques. We first each submitted possible designs. We voted on the best one, and then got to work. An hour later, we had created a very spooky jack-o-lantern. Dean and Amanda loved the pumpkin so much that I left our finished product with them. I think I have won 2 Aussies over to my pumpkin-carving ways!




No comments:

Post a Comment