Wednesday, September 2, 2009

McFellowship

Here I am at week 2 and still loving every minute of it. The members of the church family are all still looking after me and helping me settle in! I have just moved in with the Mowdays for about 2 weeks, then I will go back to the Grittens to housesit.

One of my favorite parts of my week in Gosford is Wednesday night. Like most churches, they have their mid-week bible study on Wednesday nights at 7:30 pm. There is an adult class that meets at the community center, a teen class that meets at the ministry center (church building), and a few kids classes that meet in homes. I have been going to the teen class on Wednesday nights to get to know the kids better and become a part of the youth ministry. We usually hang out for about 30 minutes--listen to music, play ping pong and pool, just hang out and catch up. Then, we have some singing and a devo by Evan, the youth minister. Last night after the devo, we finished working on Twitter inboxes. They are basically envelopes all the kids are decorating so we can send each other encouragement notes. Around 9 pm, the parents start showing up to pick up their kids.
Some of the jr high girls and me.
Playing ping-pong and hanging out.

Making Twitter inboxes

Then the church joins up at McDonalds (a.k.a. Maccas) for a cup of coffee or a snack, hence McFellowship. Older members and adults come from their class and the teens come from their class, and we just have a nice time of getting together and catching up with each other. You know I love it because they have diet coke and it's a self-serve fountain, so I can get free refills!!!I don't usually get home until 10:30 pm, but it so worth it to fellowship with the church.

Loving diet coke. PS: that's a large...

I was reminded again last night how thankful I am to be working here with this congregation!





2 comments:

  1. Hi Jenny! My mom sent me your blog address so I can see what you're up to. You have no idea how lucky you are to be in a country with free refills! I've found one restaurant (a McDonald's, of course) in all of Vienna that offers free refills. I look forward to reading about more of your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I miss McFellowship! Love the blog Jenny. We're thinking about and praying for you!

    ReplyDelete